Computer Tips and TricksAntivirus Removal Tools
How to Avoid Technical Support Scams
- Follow these 5 Simple Rules to Avoid Being Scammed
- Educate Yourself on Technical Support Scams
- Report these Scammers
- Technical Support Scams Resource Pages
Follow these 5 Simple Rules to Avoid Being Scammed
- If Scammers call, tell them to take you off their calling list immediately and hang up the phone.
- If you receive a popup/screen locking up – “your computer is infected and that you MUST call a phone number.” (NEVER CALL THAT NUMBER.)
- Always do a Google search and look up these scammers.
- Download files from credible sources. Scammers create “fake” software packages – Rogue Security Software that are designed to look like legitimate software.
- If there is legitimate problem, bring your computer or laptop to a local computer store for repair or service.
2.EDUCATE YOURSELF ON TECHNICAL SUPPORT SCAMS
- Typical Technical Support Scam
- Windows viewer displays log of various events.
- Many of the log entries are harmless notifications.
- The scammer claim that log entries (warnings, errors) are evidence of the computer being corrupted, the errors must be “fixed”.
4. TECHNICAL SUPPORT SCAMS RESOURCE PAGES